Thursday, September 18, 2008

THE ATLAS AGENDA

On Sept 12, I attended a dance performance, The Atlas Agenda. This "new annual dance festival" featured work from seven male choreographers, celebrating men as a minority in dance. The show ran for two weekends (September 5-6, 12-13) at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Lincoln Park. This black box theater was both comfortable and intimate. Being in the front row, I was far enough away to take in the whole stage, yet I could still see facial expressions and intricate details of costumes. 

With the number of choreographers involved, there was a variety of emotion and themes throughout the evening. There were a few I did not care for much, but others that were truly enjoyable. The third performance was my favorite. It was a one-man performance called "Doll House" which was choreographed by 20 year old Chris Nasadowski. There was a lot of storytelling throughout the evening but this piece was different.  The brief introduction let us know the point was to incorporate body motion and dance directly with the music. With a spotlight on center stage and a collage of sound clips, beats and songs, a limber man in a backward visor, gray long sleeved shirt and pants became a part of the rhythm. For example, when Woody Woodpecker laughed out of nowhere, the dancer moved accordingly by shrugging his shoulders with his hand up to his face. Break dancing and other gestures collaborated with Willy Wonka and DJ Shadow to become a sort of smooth roller coaster. We, the audience, were a part of this experience as we sat back and enjoyed the ride. 

I questioned if there were connections or some meaning, and if so what were they? I still felt a smile on my face into the next act! I stopped questioning. I'm pegging this one as pure visual and audial pleasure.

No comments: