Friday, October 24, 2008

I Love Flying

I was inspired by "The New King of Irony" (essay we read last week in Falling Upward) to post a video I made over the summer.  Just in the first paragraph, Lee Siegel writes: "Maybe that's why we're so attached to our iPods: they provide a score of background music that lends to our ordinary days something like the cohesion of a meaningful plot."

I love seeing the world around me, which is why I love photography and video. I love music. These elements combined? Oh my. At it's best, it can be more than breathtaking. Music can tell different stories, without pushing any words down anyone's throats. It challenges the viewer/listener to find the meaning and importance in what they're witnessing.  Certain musical notes can be combined to create harmony. Harmony can be also be created by combining two or more mediums. In the case of music videos and movie scores, for example, two senses are being entertained.  

In June, I flew to Minneapolis for a friend's wedding. I love to travel and I also love Claude Debussy. Some may think there's nothing necessarily amazing about it, but the two elements together make my heart skip. 

"Welcome to Chicago, By Way of Minneapolis/St. Paul"


(For some reason there are two options of video quality, so if you are interested, I recommend watching it in "High Quality", rather than "Normal Quality". You can click on the title "I Love Flying" to go straight to the youtube page. Look under the bottom right hand side of the video.)

No comments: